Thursday, February 4, 2010

The art of communicating

Professionals talk about what percent is verbal and what percent is non-verbal when communicating. Working in aged care you need to up the non-verbal skills dramatically in order to communicate with the client/resident. The number of non-English speaking people in aged care facilities is raising dramatically year after year as they forget how to speak English and reverting back to their mother tongue, another side effect of the populate or perish policy, thank you oh so wise government. It's interesting to see just how much I have taken this non-verbal into the wider community, ordering a coffee today I realized I pointed to the menu board behind the serving girl, she took it in good humour, I realized I was turning into one of those people that live to work, not work to live. I NEED TO GET OUT MORE!!! All in good time dear reader, all in good time.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment